You are here
Diabetes Foot Accessory

Diabetes Foot Accessory

Where can I get diabetic shoes?

Ask shoe fitters about diabetic shoes. These shoes, which may be covered by Medicare’s Therapeutic Shoe Program, can help reduce your potential for foot-related complications. 

"You can find diabetic shoes at your local custom shoe fitters and reputable diabetic shoe fitters online."

You should always examine your feet every day for any signs of inflammation, infection, cuts or bruises. If your skin appears dry or cracked, applying skin moisturizer can help. Research suggests that 85 percent of diabetes-related amputations are preceded by foot ulcers that can be prevented with proper foot care.

 

What is the Medicare Therapeutic Shoe Program?

Medicare has established a program to help people with diabetes who are at risk of developing foot ulcerations. For those who qualify, Medicare will pay 80 percent of the allowed amount for one pair of diabetic (therapeutic) shoes and up to three pairs of inserts per year. Most secondary insurers will help with the remaining 20 percent.

 

How do I know if I qualify for shoes under the Medicare Therapeutic Shoe Program?

Not all patients with diabetes will qualify for therapeutic footwear and inserts.

If you have Part B, have diabetes, and meet certain conditions, Medicare will cover therapeutic shoes if you need them.

The types of shoes that are covered each year include one of these:

One pair of depth-inlay shoes and 3 pairs of inserts 

One pair of custom-molded shoes (including inserts) if you can’t wear depth-inlay shoes because of a foot deformity, and 2 additional pairs of inserts

In certain cases, Medicare may also cover separate inserts or shoe modifications instead of inserts.

 

How do I get therapeutic shoes?

For Medicare to pay for your therapeutic shoes, the doctor treating your diabetes must certify that you meet these 3 conditions:

1. You have diabetes.
2. You have at least one of these conditions in one or both feet:

Partial or complete foot amputation

Past foot ulcers

Calluses that could lead to foot ulcers

Nerve damage because of diabetes with signs of problems with calluses

Poor circulation

A deformed foot

3. You’re being treated under a comprehensive diabetes care plan and need therapeutic shoes and/or inserts because of diabetes.

Medicare also requires:

A podiatrist or other qualified doctor prescribes the shoes

A doctor or other qualified individual like a pedorthist, orthotist, or prosthetist fits and provides the shoes

 

add

Related posts