What causes foot odor and how do I prevent it?
When sweat gets trapped inside your shoe, it combines with bacteria, which can cause a bad smell. (17) To help prevent it:
- Wash and dry your feet every day.
- Change your shoes at least once a day and let them air out. Wear shoes made of leather, mesh or canvas that allow your feet to breathe. Avoid plastic or other synthetic shoes.
- Change your socks daily or throughout the day, if needed.
- Wear socks made of cotton, wool or other natural fibers to help absorb moisture. Avoid nylon socks.
- Use foot powders and antiperspirants.
- Soak your feet in vinegar and water. (18,19)