Test like a pro...
- Test on your finger’s edges, not the tip, where more nerves are located.
- Wash hands with soap and warm water and dry thoroughly right before testing.
- Vary your fingers instead of using the same finger all the time.
- Use a fresh lancet and make sure test strips are stored in a closed container.
- When testing after eating, wait one to two hours from beginning of meal.
- Think of testing as a way to discover how your body responds to changes in medication, diet, activity and sleep. Check in with your diabetes educator, doctor or pharmacist to talk about your results and what they mean.